- 2 Slices center cut eggplant about 1/3 inch thick
- Pesto Sauce (see video “Hand Cut Pesto”)
- I often change it, and use chandler walnuts, instead of pine nuts.
- Ground beef, a little more than a cup, cooked.
- 4 oz of 2-3 different hard cheeses
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, I like the brown criminis.
- Olive Oil
- Garlic, sea salt & pepper to your taste
Slice eggplant, and cover both sides liberally with olive oil. Heat a pan to med-low. Cook the eggplant about half the time covered and half not. This combines both steaming and sautéing. After 4-5 minutes turn them over, and cook the other side. Stick a fork in it, if it’s tender it’s done, also it’s nice to have a little browning. Remove. Add the ground beef and spices, a little more olive oil, remember not above med-low heat with olive oil. Cook and remove. Sauté the mushrooms, and remove. Now build it, turn the pan down to low heat, lay in the eggplants, cover with, pesto sauce, ground beef and top with cheeses, and mushrooms, cover with lid and let them set until the cheeses are starting to melt. Serve hot and enjoy.