This recipe can all be cooked in one pot. Another option is one pan for browning the meat then a crock pot for slow cooking. Using this recipe is simpler than most mole sauces because the peppers, onions and avocado pit are slow cooked with the meat, steams, seeds, skins and all. Remove steams and pits after slow cooking and throw away. For everything else except the meat press through a food mill, or sieve to make mole sauce. Just before serving, heat the meat and add sauce as desired.
- brown the meat.
- slow cook.
- strain sauce add spices and condense
- unrefined sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon home-made lard, gee, coconut or peanut oil
- one 2-3 lb. grass fed beef roast I use chuck, bone in best
- 5-6 Pasilla/Ancho dry chilies
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 avocado pit peeled and cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 cup beef bone broth *Bone Broth or Stock
- filtered water as needed
Season meat with unrefined sea salt & fresh ground black pepper. Brown on all sides in lard, gee, or oil. Place whole dry chilies, avocado pit, garlic and onions in bottom of pan. Place meat on top. Add filtered water to just below the top of the meat. Slow cook over night or all day. I used the lowest setting on my stove top. Ten or so hours later the meat should be flaky tender. Remove it. Remove steams from the peppers. Remove avocado seed, all the nutrients have cooked out. Press everything else through a food mill or sieve. Add lime juice, oil and spices, see below. Cook down to a thick rich sauce. Break meat up, it will shred easy. Remove any undesired pieces like fat or gristle. Before serving, heat the meat and add sauce as desired. Enjoy!
Spices, juice & oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander seed
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons White pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Smoky Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Unrefined Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange zest
- 2 Star anise crushed
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon