The effect of inserting herb butter under the skin of Turkey creates beautiful crisping and browning while infusing delicious savory flavors and moisture. Use herb combinations you like, these are some of my favorite herbs & spices for poultry. The herb butter can be used with Turkey or Chicken. The recipe may need to be doubled for very large Turkeys.
- 3/4 stick sweet butter soften by setting out and letting it come to room temperature
- Collect fresh garden herbs or buy
- Used 1 tablespoon or less of the following fresh herbs. Grind in spice grinder (coffee grinder used only for herbs and spices) or a mortar & pestle. Then added them to soft butter.
- thyme stems removed
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary stems removed
Spices, note salt should already have been rubbed allover the bird, so it’s not added here.
- 3-4 allspice berries
- 3-4 juniper berries
- 1/2 tablespoon each white & black pepper corns.
Heat spices on low in a dry pan for a few minutes rolling them around a bit for even toasting. They will make a wonderful aroma as they reach peek release. Let cool, grind and add to butter. Blend well. The idea is to sandwich the butter between the flesh and skin with out tearing the skin. Carefully slip fingers between the birds flesh and skin making a pocket, where it gives way easily. Use a spoon to scoop butter into your hands, so any left over butter can be used later. Gently insert the butter. Even out any lumps. Save left over butter for gray, dressing, sauce, or vegetables. Roast the bird and enjoy!
Click on the first picture to watch my video: Herb Butter for Fast Roasting Tender Juicy Turkey or click this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdstjZXSPmY