4-5 lb. Pork crown roast, trimmed specially for Crown roast
- *Soak chia seeds 2-24 hours, covered
- *Brine roast 24-38 hours
- 2 cups gray sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 3-4 cups bone broth or filtered water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
Heat salt in broth until dissolved. Cool. Add syrup and grapefruit juice. Submerge pork in brine. Cover and refrigerate 24-38 hours. Remove, pat dry. Discard brine. Let roast come to room temperature, 2 or so hours.
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon whole black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole white pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- thyme sprigs for garnish
Lightly grind mustard seed and peppers in spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Chop thyme leaves. Press all into coconut oil.
Pre-heat oven on broil. Cut between each bone into the meat, leaving enough uncut on the bottom to hold the roast together. (Cut short first then more as needed to make meat bend.) Tie string around lean side of roast making a circle. Press rub into roast. Place thyme sprigs for garnish. Broil 15 minutes then remove from oven. Turn oven down to 250°. Crimp foil around bones to keep from burning.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow apple
- 1 white onion
- 1 cup bone broth
Sauté chopped, apple and onion in oil, until browned. Add to bottom of roasting pan with bone broth.
Roast pork until instant read thermometer registers 150°-160°.
- 1/4 cup chia seed. Soak chia seeds 2-24 hours, covered.
- 1 cup filtered water
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- pan drippings
- pan roasted apple & onion
While roast is resting, add soaked chia seeds pan drippings, onion and apple to blender, and puree. Heat sauce if needed, slice roast and cover with sauce.
Enjoy this tender festive holiday treat!