Æblekage/Danish Apple Cake, is a very simple, no bake
home-made comfort dessert. My husband Scott’s
Grandma started the tradition, of making it for birthdays.
This is a photo of my husband Scott’s Grandma, Grandpa, &
Father, “Edward J. Kellstrom”around the time they moved
to Modesto Ca. in the early 1920’s. They came from the
island of Bornholm in Denmark, to Modesto Ca. where
Grandpa was a butcher for Anchor Meats. We still have his
hand-made knife! April 23, this year would have been Scott’s
father’s 100th birthday . Although Ed died in 1983, we
celebrated in his honor. Dinner was grilled t-bone steaks,
Amador Zinfandel wine, and baked potatoes with real butter.
After dinner, we played games of cribbage on Ed’s old board.
For dessert we enjoyed Æblekage/Danish Apple Cake, with
coffee of course.
Very E-Z recipe; Æblekage/Danish Apple Cake& below pictures.
Æblekage/Danish Apple Cake
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 & 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 3-4 teaspoons raspberries preserves
- Melt butter, add bread crumbs and sugar.
- Stir and toast untill golden. Let cool.
- Just before serving make whip cream.
- Chill a small mixer bowl and coat with butter.
- Layer crumbs, apple sauce, crumbs, apple sauce
- until used up. Turn bowl upside down and gently
- remove using a rubber spatula. Cover like a cake
- with whip cream, dot the top with raspberry preserves.
- Quick option, is to serve in individual dishes with just
- whip cream, and a bit of raspberry on top.