Tri Tip is an incredibly popular beef cut here in CA.
This recipe users a Paleo, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free rub.
Searing the roast briefly traps the meat juices inside,
while long slow indirect heat creates tenderness.
Grilled Tri Tip
- 1 & 1/2 bl. tri tip.
- Coarse grind 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seed.
- Coarse grind 1 & 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seed.
- Coarse grind 1 tbs. black & 1 tsp. white pepper.
- Coarse grind 1 teaspoon Cumin..
- Add all to a large plastic bag, along with;
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground garlic.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Toss bag to mix all spices.
- Add tri tip to bag and press rub into meat.
- Refrigerate 18-38 hours. With out opening bag
- toss & flip around 2-3 times. Remove roast
- 30- 50 minutes before grilling.
Sear both sides on hot coals.
Move to indirect slow heat. 45 minutes to 1 hour
turning every 20 minutes. Done when internal
temperature is 125°-135°.
Wrap in foil. 20 -40 minutes.
Slice & serve.
Tender, succulent roast you can cut with a fork.