Select the best quality turkey you can find and afford. Use every part of the bird; bones skin and bits of meat make great bone broth for soups sauces and gravy. Leftover meat makes delicious sandwiches, especially when using (see video;) Organic clean & Healthy Home-Made Mayonnaise Video .Casseroles, enchiladas, tamales, soups, stews and salads are other options.
Preparing a Butterflied or Spatchcocked Turkey
- Any size bird will roast faster when cut apart.
- Remove neck and organs from inside.
- Rinse, drain and pat dry turkey.
- Cut thru breast
- Cut out back bone and remove
- Loosen skin to make a pocket for herb butter
- Salt all over with unrefined sea salt
- Press herb butter under skin in pockets and all over outside
- Place on roasting rack with pan under
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of white wine to bottom of roasting pan
- Pre-heat oven to 450*
- Roast at 450* for first 15 minutes
- Turn oven down to 350* and roast until temperature of breast is 165* Take temperature reading by placing thermometer into thickest part of breast, not touching bone or gristle.
- Herb Butter can be made days ahead
- Roast backbone and neck at the same time. Use them along with pan dripping for bone broth gravy. Recipe coming on next post.