This is a wonderful flavor infusion: The rich mouth feel of
duck yolk, and sweet caramelized onions cooked in bacon
drippings. The succulent sweet tangy bite of reduced
balsamic vinegar. Red garlic. Home-made spicy mustard.
Peanut and olive oil. Sea salt and white pepper.
Caramelize onion in bacon drippings. Process yolk, onion,
reduced balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard and spices.
Emulsifying the oil with processor running is done easily by
very slowly adding the oil. This makes the perfect texture
for dip, and can be thinned a bit for dressing.
Duck Onion Dip/Dressing
- 1 duck yolk, room temperature
- 1 sweet onion caramelized*
- 4-6 tablespoons reduced* balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mustard Golden Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 clove red/pink garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground white pepper
- 1 & 1/2 cups organic peanut oil non-GMO
- I like Spectrum refined
- 1/2 cup 1st cold press extra virgin local olive oil
- I like California Olive Ranch
*To caramelize onion; simmer sliced onion in 2 tablespoons
of bacon dripping 2-4 hours to golden. *To reduce balsamic
vinegar for this recipe, simmer 10 tablespoons until reduced
in volume to around 1/2, 15-20 minutes. Process yolks,
vinegar, mustard, onion, garlic and spices to smooth.
With food processor running, add the thinnest possible
stream of the oils. The mixture will emulsify. Making a
perfectly thick and wonderful dip. For dressing mix in by
hand, 2-6 tablespoons of filtered water to thin as desired.