Buy a whole chicken* for best value. After roasting a big bonus is leftover meat and all the dishes you can make from it. Soups, stews, salads, casseroles, tamales, enchiladas and wraps are just a few possible uses. The bones, cartilage, gristle, skin and any other bits can make bone broth, which if you have bought a quality bird is a super food. The juices from the roasting pan can make incredible sauces, and gravy’s. Recently I made a Rosemarry Garlic Chicken Video Here are 2 of my recipes for bone broth: Bone Broth or Stock & Turkey Bone Broth Miracle Food made from Turkey Trash!Paleo, Gluten Free, Low Carb Gravy from the drippings and blended chia seed, (yes like chia pet). It was other worldly good! Recipe and pictures coming soon. This chopped chicken salad is sensational by itself but, put it in a bacon cup and you can achieve umami bliss. Here is one of my recipes for roasting chicken:
Chopped Chicken Salad in Bacon Cup
See recipe, make ahead and let cool. Easy Bacon Cups
Chopped Chicken Salad
- 1 cup diced chicken, mix dark and white meat for better flavors
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon diced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon diced jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced probiotic dill pickle *
- 1/4 large avocado
- 1/2 hard boiled egg, diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise*
- 1/4 teaspoon Dejon mustard
- optional; bit of fresh diced herbs, dill, tarragon, sage, oregano, lemon verbena, marjoram
- unrefined sea salt to your taste
- white pepper to your taste
- smoky paprika
Dice and mix all except avocado. Lay avocado on top and cut with fork, fold in gently, so avocado is not smashed into small bits and remains in distinguishable pieces. Spoon into bacon cups. Dust tops with smoky paprika.
*Chicken, Pickle and Mayonnaise recommendations
- Chicken suggestions, Mary’s Free Range Chickens, Rosie Petaluma Poultry®
- 2 recipe options for probiotic pickles. * Paleo Probiotic Pickles Probiotic Lacto-fermented Pickles
- 2 store brand options for probiotic pickles. Sonoma Brinery Dill Whole Koshers , Bubbies Kosher Dills.
- Once you make your own you’ll never have to buy again. see recipe Organic clean & Healthy Home-Made Mayonnaise Video
Line cup cake tin with bacon. Bake at 350. Approx. 1 hour for thick bacon, thin bacon could take as little as 20 minutes. Check often for crispness to prevent over cooking. About half way thru, flip over as seen in second picture. Drain on towel, cool to handle. Fill, eat, have fun! Imagine all the possibilities! See my next post, Chicken Salad Bacon Cups for one.
Best to use uncured bacon from heirloom pork, raised humanely, fed non-GMO processed minimally and local.